What is permitted development?
Planning permission is no longer required by the majority of homeowners for most loft conversions, rear extensions and single storey side extensions as long as they are within certain limits. These limits are usually about the height, width or depth of the extension. Your local Designer will be able to advise you on these rights for your home.

What Are Permitted Development Rights?
Permitted Development Rights are changes and additions you can make to your home without applying to your local authority for planning permission. They derive from a general planning permission granted not by the local authority but by Parliament. The rights are for houses - so if you live in a flat or maisonette, they do not apply.

If you live in a World Heritage Site, Conservation Area, National Park, Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty or the Norfolk or Suffolk Broads, permitted development rights are more restricted, so some changes you might want to make to your home will need planning permission. Listed buildings are also an exception to these rights.

Do you need planning permission for the change you want to make to your home?
After establishing that your proposed scheme will fall within Permitted Development your Designer will consult the local authority to confirm that formal planning permission is not required. Some recent property developments may have had permitted development rights removed as part of a previous planning application. If this is so then it will be listed as a condition on the decision notice.

Planning Permission may not be required, however we advise that a Certificate of Lawful Proposed Use or Development is applied for and approval received before commencing building work. This certificate is a legal document that states that the work you are proposing falls within your house's Permitted Development Rights. It is a particularly useful document to have should you wish to sell your home in the future.

Click here to speak to your local Designer who can advise you on your Permitted Development Rights >>

 Certificate of Lawfulness
A Structural Engineer is required to calculate the sizes of steel beams / lintels etc. Most projects require the services of a Structural Engineer
SAP (Standard Assessment Procedure) calcs are sometimes required
In this tutorial, we show you how to use Google Ajax Feed API to display RSS feeds from other sites on your own easily and without hosting the files on your own server.